Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Devon

Here starts Devon's January story...an entry in

49 posts in this topic

I have not and will not read this story, because after reading Graces entry in the contest, which was exhibited excellent writing skills, the subject matter is just too boring for me. Looking forward to the next story........

Yes, Grace's writing is highly polished, and skilled, but I like Devon's, too.

His is a little rough, definitely masculine, and is his own style. It's pretty unique,

if you ask me .

Grace is unique, and thanks for saying I am too. In all, Grace is the unique-er because of her in-depth style. She understands that not everyone is going to read what she writes and writes to please her own muse...which appeals to me...but not to all.

As a schoolkid in France, I had to read Proust like everyone else. As an active boy, I cringed at the thought of reading a writer like Proust who just piled words on top of words....dense, impenetrable writing...."for girls" I used to think. Here was this frail homosexual locked away in his cork-lined room compiling the "The Great French Novel" in literally millions of words and not caring who read it or not. Then he becomes the most-discussed writer of his day. In my own language, I used to think "fag stuff." So did most of the other boys. Proust was, in my then-opinion, unreadable in any language.

Then one day, I read only the Combray section of his voluminous classic A La Recherche du Temps Perdu. I did this only to pass the state exam. I struggled at first, hating every minute of it. But suddenly, Proust opened the largest "onion" that I have ever read in my life. He was so multi-layed that it stultified the mind. Definitely not for the passive reader, but an experience unlike any other if you gave it a chance.

And here was this "faggy" Jew living isolated in "faggy" Paris, getting rich, and not even taking visitors.

But....wow!...an experience like no other!

Devon

I am almost done with the next one. Maybe I'll post it this weekend.

Dr. Woo, I wish you would add a tale, too.

He could probably do it from a totally different perspective, as I have tried to do. Only Dana Drive and the assassination weave our stories together. But it could go farther. One could accrete from your characters too, mentioning them in passing. Then we really start to approach Proust with a monumental tale of life woven together from many different threads of action and motivation.

One comment---open to debate among those here who like to read----I sincerely believe in raising the font and making it bold.

There is always mixed feeling on this. One reader writes back "Thanks," and another hates the big fonts.

Who knows what to do? I like larger print. But I guess some others do not.

:scratchinghead:

Devon

WHERE IS THE NEXT STEP? DEVN REQUESTS HIS OWN FORUM APART FROM THE LOWER TIER TO POST LITERATURE?

A SUBFORUM FOR WRITING A GOOD IDEAL.

WHERE IS THE NEXT STEP? DEVN REQUESTS HIS OWN FORUM APART FROM THE LOWER TIER TO POST LITERATURE?

I would vote for that!

GREAT IDEA!!! Ohhhhhhh...we could exchange all sorts of creative ideas in the sub-forum without all of "those people" demanding surrender! Or, as I suspect, would "those people" not be able to stay away from the ART?

:rose:

I have deleted this thread to protect peoples.

I would vote for that!

GREAT IDEA!!! Ohhhhhhh...we could exchange all sorts of creative ideas in the sub-forum without all of "those people" demanding surrender! Or, as I suspect, would "those people" not be able to stay away from the ART?

That would be an interesting experiment. If there were a writing/literature sub forum, that did not have locked threads like the library, would/could the trolls and nay sayers stay away and not add insults and drivel to the threads? I don't believe it would be possible, I could be wrong but it would be a fun experiment to try. What would be their excuse then?

I would vote for that!

That would be an interesting experiment. If there were a writing/literature sub forum, that did not have locked threads like the library, would/could the trolls and nay sayers stay away and not add insults and drivel to the threads? I don't believe it would be possible, I could be wrong but it would be a fun experiment to try. What would be their excuse then?

I like the idea, and I actually think the trolls would stay away. It's too much trouble to change to the sub-forums, but that would mean that only about three or four of us are reading there, which is also okay.

Mayhaps, our Noble Prize Winner will look into that.

:ura:

A sub-forum for literature????

Not a bad idea. Would give the place a little class. And they would get rid of our stories and poetry on the front page.

Devon

A sub-forum for literature????

Not a bad idea. Would give the place a little class. And they would get rid of our stories and poetry on the front page.

Devon

Besides...we could keep a constant contest running and invite writers from other forums.

Devon

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0