Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Devon

Devon's September story now online

659 posts in this topic

As an outsider to Devon: I read and liked his last three stories. I never thought I would. I saw the pasted passages here and got kinda hooked. So I went to fictionpress.com and read his last three stories in order from his list of 40 some short stories. He writes exceptionally well. I don't know who to compare him to. He is so different than all others. Apart from the great wordsmith qualities he has there is just a lot of really unusual ideas and such in his stories. Plots and people like I have never seen before. The stories held my attention from the start to the finish.

Just my crummy 2 cents.

That's what I would say if I had a little but word spit and polish. But if you look for the best of the old scifi you'll find a lot really creative but most often in the old magazines the work style is very dry. Like with Devon's stories you got to hunt the best out. So much forgotten - Robert Heinlein "All You Zombies" really crazy for his time and this from a Annapolis grad naval guy who I'm sure would have been a admiral had not he had medical probs -TB. Or suvival stuff "A Pail of Air" - Fritz Leiber, etc.. http://bestsciencefictionstories.com/category/1950s/

On the forum main thing about Devon to me is his great stories. Back in real time in my neighborhood him just being a hometown boy would be enough to get most cheering him on. So keep on writing Devon you got a chance to be a real contender in the modern zombie like lit. world and a lot of that is just you keeping the faith you can do it. And I'll keep rooting for you and reading.

A lot of the stories in the old science fiction magazines were there just to fill pages. Just the major titles alone amounted to many hundreds of story pages a month and there just wasn't enough quality material being written, even back then, to meet the demand.

If Devon had been around during the heyday of those magazines, he would have been one of the stars to be sure.

Devon's writing would have been considered filth and unpublishable even in Spicy Stories.

Prude.

As an outsider to Devon: I read and liked his last three stories. I never thought I would. I saw the pasted passages here and got kinda hooked. So I went to fictionpress.com and read his last three stories in order from his list of 40 some short stories. He writes exceptionally well. I don't know who to compare him to. He is so different than all others. Apart from the great wordsmith qualities he has there is just a lot of really unusual ideas and such in his stories. Plots and people like I have never seen before. The stories held my attention from the start to the finish.

Just my crummy 2 cents.

That's what I would say if I had a little but word spit and polish. But if you look for the best of the old scifi you'll find a lot really creative but most often in the old magazines the work style is very dry. Like with Devon's stories you got to hunt the best out. So much forgotten - Robert Heinlein "All You Zombies" really crazy for his time and this from a Annapolis grad naval guy who I'm sure would have been a admiral had not he had medical probs -TB. Or suvival stuff "A Pail of Air" - Fritz Leiber, etc.. http://bestsciencefictionstories.com/category/1950s/

On the forum main thing about Devon to me is his great stories. Back in real time in my neighborhood him just being a hometown boy would be enough to get most cheering him on. So keep on writing Devon you got a chance to be a real contender in the modern zombie like lit. world and a lot of that is just you keeping the faith you can do it. And I'll keep rooting for you and reading.

A lot of the stories in the old science fiction magazines were there just to fill pages. Just the major titles alone amounted to many hundreds of story pages a month and there just wasn't enough quality material being written, even back then, to meet the demand.

If Devon had been around during the heyday of those magazines, he would have been one of the stars to be sure.

Devon's writing would have been considered filth and unpublishable even in Spicy Stories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E2%80%94All_...ombies%E2%80%94

"—All You Zombies—" is a science fiction short story by Robert A. Heinlein. It was written in a single day, July 11, 1958, and first published in the March 1959 issue of Fantasy and Science Fiction magazine, after having been rejected by Playboy.

The story involves a number of paradoxes caused by time travel. Since its publication, the work has become one of the most famous science fiction short stories about time travel.

Just my crummy 2 cents.

Prude.

Not me. I was not old enough to be an editor back then.

Just my crummy 2 cents.

Oh? Care to cite any specific examples of this alleged "filth"?

No need. Almost any work of contemporary science fiction contains obligatory elements which would have been highly expurgated or rejected in the heyday of pulp fiction in the 20's and 30's.

Just my crummy 2 cents.

No need. Almost any work of contemporary science fiction contains obligatory elements which would have been highly expurgated or rejected in the heyday of pulp fiction in the 20's and 30's.

Didn't think so.

How much 20's or 30's pulp fiction have you actually read? How many of Devon's stories?

Just my crummy 2 cents.

Didn't think so.

How much 20's or 30's pulp fiction have you actually read? How many of Devon's stories?

Much of the former, enough of the latter to comment. Defensive much?

Just my crummy 2 cents.

Didn't think so.

Much of the former, enough of the latter to comment. Defensive much?

Who's being defensive? I asked you to provide a specific example of "filth" that would have rendered Devon's work unpublishable during the pulp era and you respond with a blanket statement about contemporary science fiction.

Under the circumstances, one has to wonder just how familiar you are with the subject of your criticism.

Good rebuttals, and thanks. Lots of needless commotion here about nothing. I write. Others read. They enjoy or don't. I have only been myself here. Danielle doesn't like PWR but comes here because of me, YOU, and Heidi. She also got REALLY hooked on Grace and her stories for a while until Grace receded into the shadows.

It's simpler than people think.

Love,

Devon

I would not call myself a Devon fan, but in all fairness some of his stories are quite good. Some seem juvenile but I suspect that because they appear on teen writing sites, they were written as juvenile/young adult stories. My favorite was The Lonliness of the Lone Star not simply for the setting but because it is the best written in terms of laconic style and understatement. The Nikki and Trey stories that I have read are more engaging than I expected and I think Devon could find a niche for them in hard copy publication. The Second Alternate Realm becomes more entertaining when placed where it belongs, in the realm of fiction. I don't know if Devon had anything to do with the original John Palifox Key net hoax but he seems to be mining that source with some degree of success in the sense of literary development. Separating the Devon character as presented in posts here on PWR with his works of fiction goes a long way in allowing the reader to derive some entertainment from his work. Those who have not been exposed to the Devon latherfests here will most likely appreciate his literary efforts more than those who have. Those who manage to overcome the prejudices generated in exchanges here and read what Devon has written may be pleasantly rewarded, though he's not going to be to eveyone's liking.

I would not call myself a Devon fan, but in all fairness some of his stories are quite good. Some seem juvenile but I suspect that because they appear on teen writing sites, they were written as juvenile/young adult stories. My favorite was The Lonliness of the Lone Star not simply for the setting but because it is the best written in terms of laconic style and understatement. The Nikki and Trey stories that I have read are more engaging than I expected and I think Devon could find a niche for them in hard copy publication. The Second Alternate Realm becomes more entertaining when placed where it belongs, in the realm of fiction. I don't know if Devon had anything to do with the original John Palifox Key net hoax but he seems to be mining that source with some degree of success in the sense of literary development. Separating the Devon character as presented in posts here on PWR with his works of fiction goes a long way in allowing the reader to derive some entertainment from his work. Those who have not been exposed to the Devon latherfests here will most likely appreciate his literary efforts more than those who have. Those who manage to overcome the prejudices generated in exchanges here and read what Devon has written may be pleasantly rewarded, though he's not going to be to eveyone's liking.

You know you just killed Devon?

both his little head and big head will explode once he reads your review!!!!!

he will be in some kind of orgasmic euphoric stupor this is sure to cause some kind of health issues, you know how those french are, all the whine and cheese!!!!

You know you just killed Devon?

both his little head and big head will explode once he reads your review!!!!!

he will be in some kind of orgasmic euphoric stupor this is sure to cause some kind of health issues, you know how those french are, all the whine and cheese!!!!

Yeah, the Stilton Cheese addict story was pretty clever despite the White Man's Wet Dream ending. :stoner:

stop it Tex, He will beat off to your posts!!!!

He just needs some reins AKA an editor.

OR!

More pussy.

I'm thinking editor.

Another stamp of approval for Devon and his stories from a very credible source!!

:cheers:

OR!

More pussy.

I'm thinking editor.

I can't recall his early stuff off the top of my head but his prose does seem leaner in his later offerings.

A fair and honest assessment. I'm sure Devon will appreciate this.

OR!

More pussy.

I'm thinking editor.

He might benefit slightly from an editor, but only slightly.

Who couldn't use more pussy?

Whewwee! All this talk about Devon being such a great writer makes me very curious to go and read whatever he wrote that makes people talk so much about it. This has got my curiosity going alot.

Whewwee! All this talk about Devon being such a great writer makes me very curious to go and read whatever he wrote that makes people talk so much about it. This has got my curiosity going alot.

You will find the same as everyone else. The famous Devon Kernel. A source. A beginning and and end in itself.

And a vortex.

Good luck.

:damned:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0