Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Devon

Devon's November Memoir/Story: Coming to America: Some Personal Observations And A Strange Incident

72 posts in this topic

What do we really know about the Earth except what is on maps? And maps can be faked. And are.

I believe it!

Back in WW2 some of the pilots that used to fly B-29's over the Himalayans told of seeing mountains taller than the operational ceiling of the aircraft (which was around 40,000 feet).

Supposedly the Tibetan mystics consider them sacred and somehow keep them hidden from the outside world.

Interesting.

That too is the groundwork of a story.

The great historian Taine once wrote that "The map is not the territory." I believe that. I have seen current maps of Brooklyn that have streets that I can personally say that are not there.

And Google Earth does not have all the answers either.

Devon

Cartographers are closely allied with security agencies, especially in Africa. Stuff is hidden. I can attest to that personally in the République Centrafricaine and other places. What we see on a map is often false.

Devon

Cartographers are closely allied with security agencies, especially in Africa. Stuff is hidden. I can attest to that personally in the République Centrafricaine and other places. What we see on a map is often false.

Devon

Probably more there than most other places!

I mean, who in the West really gives more than a passing thought to what's going on in Africa at a given time?

You do, because it is your business to know and you have some personal history there, but you are far from the norm.

Do you take requests?

Next story should be about a "phantom island":

http://www.proxywhor...howtopic=269535

Good suggestion. I might do that.

There were stories in France for years about missing islands in the archipealgo of Indonesia, islands that one tried to find but couldn't but upon which entire histories had been postulated. Also, there is some scant rumor that the Marine Nationale had confected this Sandy Island story on behalf of New Zealand to hide their Pacific nuclear arsenal which was in direct opposition to the New Zealand navy.

But the best stories of all are in the US about how Rand McNally and others made up fake cities to copyright their maps. Every map that we own has false places. But the funny things is that some of them are not totally false. There are some tales here.

Dev

There's quite a lot for you to work with there!

I agree. The Clipperton syndrome has always troubled the mass awareness. I too could capitalize on that.

Devon

I'd love to see you write about that too!

Thanks.

Maybe I will.

Continuing....

When I was a very young kid, pre-teenage, there were a bunch of stories related by old sailors to my father (a docker) and others about a "well-known" place called the Ile de Sauchure which was in the very south Pacific and supposedly inhabited by a race of men with ovoid or football shaped heads that traded with sailors but did not allow them to come ashore. My father and so many others told us this that it became almost a given. These were non-human, non-simian creatures with arms twice the length of ours and pointed teeth like those of a shark. Hairless and volatile. They would kill anyone who got off a ship. This was in the 1970s.

Wow. What did they trade for?

The way I remember it, it was for tropical fruit from French islands farther north, things that could not grow that far south.

Devon

What did they get in exchange?

I don't really remember that part. Probably some metals. But I am not sure.

Devon

Very true. What happens in Africa is not widely known. There has always been a "war" there between three factions: South Africa/Israel, The Arabic League and France. Intrigues are always brewing, but I see little of them in the daily press. I could write "if one only knew" but it would not make much difference.

Devon

I mean, who in the West really gives more than a passing thought to what's going on in Africa at a given time?

You do, because it is your business to know and you have some personal history there, but you are far from the norm.

Devon

Very true. What happens in Africa is not widely known. There has always been a "war" there between three factions: South Africa/Israel, The Arabic League and France. Intrigues are always brewing, but I see little of them in the daily press. I could write "if one only knew" but it would not make much difference.

Devon

Do you take requests? Next story should be about a "phantom island": http://www.proxywhor...howtopic=269535
Good suggestion. I might do that. There were stories in France for years about missing islands in the archipealgo of Indonesia, islands that one tried to find but couldn't but upon which entire histories had been postulated. Also, there is some scant rumor that the Marine Nationale had confected this Sandy Island story on behalf of New Zealand to hide their Pacific nuclear arsenal which was in direct opposition to the New Zealand navy. But the best stories of all are in the US about how Rand McNally and others made up fake cities to copyright their maps. Every map that we own has false places. But the funny things is that some of them are not totally false. There are some tales here. Dev
There's quite a lot for you to work with there!
I agree. The Clipperton syndrome has always troubled the mass awareness. I too could capitalize on that. Devon
I'd love to see you write about that too!
Thanks. Maybe I will. Continuing.... When I was a very young kid, pre-teenage, there were a bunch of stories related by old sailors to my father (a docker) and others about a "well-known" place called the Ile de Sauchure which was in the very south Pacific and supposedly inhabited by a race of men with ovoid or football shaped heads that traded with sailors but did not allow them to come ashore. My father and so many others told us this that it became almost a given. These were non-human, non-simian creatures with arms twice the length of ours and pointed teeth like those of a shark. Hairless and volatile. They would kill anyone who got off a ship. This was in the 1970s.
Wow. What did they trade for?
The way I remember it, it was for tropical fruit from French islands farther north, things that could not grow that far south. Devon
What did they get in exchange?
I don't really remember that part. Probably some metals. But I am not sure.

I wonder what one would find if they were to visit that island today? Would there be even a trace of such 'people'? If not, does that mean the original stories were invalid? Possibly not!

I don't know if you've ever read any of the original accounts of the Spanish explorers of the Americas, but the people and places they describe are very different from their modern counterparts (giants on the island of Curacao, blond women among the natives in Peru, etc.)

Anything that's officially taught as "history" has been heavily sanitized, but for whose protection?

Sanitized is right. I've read some of those accounts myself. History changes with each administration in whatever country. Econ history is a little more invariable, but not much. I remember school texts when I was a kid that said that the North had succumbed to the South and made early peace because of the fear of French intervention. What a joke! By the way, this latest Lincoln movie seems to be postulated on a lot of received ideas of godliness and so on. Just a side remark.

Anyway, thanks for the story suggestions, which were good. Need to go to work now. Talk to you later.

Devon

I'm so happy that we have The Deving here to elaborate upon his many lengthy and tedious posts.

WTF is this all about anyway, Deving?

I'm so happy that we have The Deving here to elaborate upon his many lengthy and tedious posts.

WTF is this all about anyway, Deving?

What JJ doesn't realize is, the stink will always be there, no matter how many times he does his laundry.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0