Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JodyCasgraine

La Giovinezza...some thoughts

5,673 posts in this topic

To the anonymous poster at 5648:

Excellent analysis of Jody's writing, in my humble opinion. I agree that she uses modifiers well, but I'd like to note that she also does not overuse modifiers. Her stories do move forward with various conflicts and climaxes. While much of her writing is, indeed, a series of character studies, the necessary elements of plot are also present. I can imagine that she has a large following of those who have read her even once.

I agree with you completely that the point of enjoying her writing is not to debate its reality or even its believability. It is, instead, a point of enjoying and submerging oneself in that shimmering go-between of which Nabokov so eloquently spoke.

For the reader who is bothered by Jody's moral state, may I suggest that Jody's work is best read as belonging to the genre of magical realism. As in the novel Like Water for Chocolate, we must suspend our concept of reality and judgment in order to appreciate the chronicles of Five Forks. In doing so, we are able to laugh with and at the various characters rather than deciding who is and who is not "real."

One more note: if Jody is writing pure fiction (and I will, for the purposes of the statement that follows, assume that she is), she is a master at creating names and details that are most befitting of the characters and setting. She has a Dickensian knack for capturing characteristics in the names associated with all of Five Forks. If this happens to be pure fiction, Jody is a master creator.

:woohoo:

Good points, good analysis, Grace.

Agree with everything you say, and the comparison to Like Water for Chocolate is very appropriate. The world of Five Forks requires the suspension of one's normal sense of reality. Your point about the names being "Dickensian" is also well taken. Jody gets away with her own unique moral codes because she lives in a world apart, a world where the normal rules of society no longer apply.

It is masterful fiction if it is fiction. If not, it is prismatic bar of reality that we do not often see. Some of us here wait with great anticipation for her arrival on Saturdays. Actually, she comes very near Sunday morning here. Worth waiting up for.

The art of the raconteur is often lost these days. You are so right that Jody's strength lies in character studies. No raconteur can ignore character development, and Jody has a wonderful and awesome knack of creating people that you can visualise with ease.

Your analysis was perfect!!!

:pithyflower:

To the anonymous poster at 5648:

Excellent analysis of Jody's writing, in my humble opinion. I agree that she uses modifiers well, but I'd like to note that she also does not overuse modifiers. Her stories do move forward with various conflicts and climaxes. While much of her writing is, indeed, a series of character studies, the necessary elements of plot are also present. I can imagine that she has a large following of those who have read her even once.

I agree with you completely that the point of enjoying her writing is not to debate its reality or even its believability. It is, instead, a point of enjoying and submerging oneself in that shimmering go-between of which Nabokov so eloquently spoke.

For the reader who is bothered by Jody's moral state, may I suggest that Jody's work is best read as belonging to the genre of magical realism. As in the novel Like Water for Chocolate, we must suspend our concept of reality and judgment in order to appreciate the chronicles of Five Forks. In doing so, we are able to laugh with and at the various characters rather than deciding who is and who is not "real."

One more note: if Jody is writing pure fiction (and I will, for the purposes of the statement that follows, assume that she is), she is a master at creating names and details that are most befitting of the characters and setting. She has a Dickensian knack for capturing characteristics in the names associated with all of Five Forks. If this happens to be pure fiction, Jody is a master creator.

:woohoo:

Good points, good analysis, Grace.

Agree with everything you say, and the comparison to Like Water for Chocolate is very appropriate. The world of Five Forks requires the suspension of one's normal sense of reality. Your point about the names being "Dickensian" is also well taken. Jody gets away with her own unique moral codes because she lives in a world apart, a world where the normal rules of society no longer apply.

It is masterful fiction if it is fiction. If not, it is prismatic bar of reality that we do not often see. Some of us here wait with great anticipation for her arrival on Saturdays. Actually, she comes very near Sunday morning here. Worth waiting up for.

The art of the raconteur is often lost these days. You are so right that Jody's strength lies in character studies. No raconteur can ignore character development, and Jody has a wonderful and awesome knack of creating people that you can visualise with ease.

Your analysis was perfect!!!

:pithyflower:

Thank you for the self-critique, Mr Jody

And where does this venerable thread dwell now?

PWR has done the right thing by preserving both of these Jody threads. As long as there is a PWR, there will be a Jody. Someday these threads will be worth something. Wait and see.

One who knows.

It is a mistake to let Jody's great works disappear like this before their publication.

Jody will never publish. It is doubtful that she will ever write again.

ADMINS...HELP...HELP...

SPAM IS OVERTAKING ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT WORKS OF INTERNET LITERATURE TO DATE. PLEASE DELETE THE SPAM. SAVE THE THREAD. YOU WON'T BE SORRY SOMEDAY. IT COULD MAKE YOU ENOUGH TO RETIRE ONE DAY.

HELP....

SAVE THE THREAD. DELETE THE SPAM.

ADMINS...HELP...HELP...

SPAM IS OVERTAKING ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT WORKS OF INTERNET LITERATURE TO DATE. PLEASE DELETE THE SPAM. SAVE THE THREAD. YOU WON'T BE SORRY SOMEDAY. IT COULD MAKE YOU ENOUGH TO RETIRE ONE DAY.

HELP....

Agreed, the spam should be cleaned up and blocked if possible. The spambot is very likely the product of a single spammer operating out of Russia by way of the UK. Interrment alive in the muck of Irtutsk is the kindest recommendation I can make for that individual.

ADMINS...HELP...HELP...

HELP....

Agreed, the spam should be cleaned up and blocked if possible. The spambot is very likely the product of a single spammer operating out of Russia by way of the UK. Interrment alive in the muck of Irtutsk is the kindest recommendation I can make for that individual.

:agreed; The Spammer is coming from Atlantavostok, Georgia Republik ....And should be buried in the Konstitusky Lake mudflats. On the lakebed, not on the surface. Right DrakeKolar?

:jerkit:

ADMINS...HELP...HELP...

HELP....

:agreed; The Spammer is coming from Atlantavostok, Georgia Republik ....And should be buried in the Konstitusky Lake mudflats. On the lakebed, not on the surface. Right DrakeKolar?

:jerkit:

:agreed: If at all possible, the mud should be brought to a boil before interring the spammer.

DO NOT DELETE

Agreed.

:candle: for Eric Fletcher, inventor of the urine powered engine.