Where Can I Cash A Western Union Money Order?

21 replies to this topic

#1 *stinks like fraud~

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:19 PM

One of my brothers owed me some cash and sent me a Western Union money order for over $300 as part of his payback. I've been to: two banks, a credit union, Kmart who sells said money orders, WalMart who cashes everything, a check cashing place and a few other places and hear the same thing 'no way! too many counterfeited ones for us to cash'.

It says on it that you can cash it at a Wells Fargo in CO and it was purchased for cash at a 7/11 in CO.

If no one will cash these sumbitches that seems like quite the profitable situation for Western Union Money Orders eh? There is a 7/11 disclaimer on it saying '7/11 will only cash for $75 and under'... hmmmm

#2 *Guest~

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:21 PM

Definitely got an education about these money orders today. Seems like there are a lot of them out there being sold. Heard that even USPS money orders can be bogus too-most places won't cash money orders. Didn't know that about them before. Haven't had a money order for decades.

#3 Authentic Drama Queen

SI NON CONFECTVS NON REFICIAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,126 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:22 PM

Did you check the WU website?
Posted Image
"...you flawless perfect control freak." --Heywood
"Biggest Bitch South Of The (Canadian) Border." --Guest
"Shows how inconsiderate YOU are, Queen of Darkness." --SWSNBN

#4 *Guest~

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE (stinks like fraud @ Dec 23 2011, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One of my brothers owed me some cash and sent me a Western Union money order for over $300 as part of his payback. I've been to: two banks, a credit union, Kmart who sells said money orders, WalMart who cashes everything, a check cashing place and a few other places and hear the same thing 'no way! too many counterfeited ones for us to cash'.

It says on it that you can cash it at a Wells Fargo in CO and it was purchased for cash at a 7/11 in CO.

If no one will cash these sumbitches that seems like quite the profitable situation for Western Union Money Orders eh? There is a 7/11 disclaimer on it saying '7/11 will only cash for $75 and under'... hmmmm

If you have Kroger grocery stores near you, they may cash them since they sell them.

Here's the WU locator: http://www.westernunion.com/WUCOMWEB/stati...extSecurePage=Y

#5 *Guest~

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:11 PM

Go to the Western Union site for authorized merchants.
http://www.westernunion.com/

No, banks won't touch them as they didn't get the cash originally. Credit Unions won't touch anything.

Try Kroger, Safeway or in a real pinch, Wal-fart. Those three usually have a 24 hour service desk. Wal-Fart doesn't do western union, but will cash checks no one else will. You do need valid ID and be able to answer a security question. No id, no cash.

Next time, if they are going to send more money, wither get a cashier's check from the bank or hit the post office for one of their money orders. Any post office will cash one of their own. Hell, even better, don't lend money.

#6 *Guest~

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE (Guest @ Dec 23 2011, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Go to the Western Union site for authorized merchants.
http://www.westernunion.com/

No, banks won't touch them as they didn't get the cash originally. Credit Unions won't touch anything.

Try Kroger, Safeway or in a real pinch, Wal-fart. Those three usually have a 24 hour service desk. Wal-Fart doesn't do western union, but will cash checks no one else will. You do need valid ID and be able to answer a security question. No id, no cash.

Next time, if they are going to send more money, wither get a cashier's check from the bank or hit the post office for one of their money orders. Any post office will cash one of their own. Hell, even better, don't lend money.

thanks-since the banks etc all sent us to other places-even WalMart-this sales pitch is total bullsh*t!
Buy a Money Order
Money orders are a safe and reliable alternative to checks.

* Buy money orders at participating Agent locations
* Easy to cash - at check cashers, banks and retailers
* Can be deposited directly into bank accounts

EVERY place acted like counterfeited Western Union money orders was the norm-one market-not those you mentioned though-said "I would be fired if I cashed a Western Union MO"... whoa!

#7 Dr. Woo

;wehfq3o4ivbtq2p9orbq[

• Members
  • 15,812 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:49 PM

Buying out of state cars etc. on craigslist with bogus WU MO's is one of the biggest scams going. Doesn't take much of a fancy printer to counterfeit them with the right paper. Banks used to cash them, then the unlucky seller would get hit 3 weeks later with a major ding to the account when the bank discovered they were bogus

#8 Doctor Doom

Super Double Secret Mod

• Members
  • 28,411 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:31 PM

Devon?
"Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex" - Frank Zappa

"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." - Voltaire

#9 Urinal Cake

You are fucked, I'm not.

• Members
  • 19,225 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:36 PM

try wal-mart, the parking lot at wal-mart.

Posted Image

#10 Dr. Woo

;wehfq3o4ivbtq2p9orbq[

• Members
  • 15,812 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:37 PM

Most banks will still let you deposit it, and hold the funds till it clears though. Obviously an account is necessary for this method

#11 *Guest~

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:29 AM

I'll cash it for you bring it over.

#12 Soak

What was the question?

• Members
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:18 AM

Kroger won't cash them.

Try a truck stop or large gas station that sells them.

If you're not in bed by midnight, it's time to go home. ~Stuart Wilde

#13 *Guest~

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:47 AM

QUOTE (Soak @ Dec 24 2011, 01:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kroger won't cash them.

Kroger sells them, so they will cash them if you got ID.

They can't sell em without cashing them unless people alter them or don't have ID.

#14 Soak

What was the question?

• Members
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE (Guest @ Dec 24 2011, 02:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kroger won't cash them.

They can't sell em without cashing them unless people alter them or don't have ID.

You couldn't be more wrong...
If you're not in bed by midnight, it's time to go home. ~Stuart Wilde

#15 *opie~

Posted 24 December 2011 - 04:32 PM

QUOTE (Soak @ Dec 24 2011, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Guest @ Dec 24 2011, 02:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kroger won't cash them.

You couldn't be more wrong...

I didn't want to be a downer telling Guest that... but Kmart sells them and when I said the same thing to them 'well you sell them!' they said 'our computers aren't set up to cash them'... but since they didn't get the cash used to buy it-I can see the point-but I won't ever use or encourage Western Union ever again after reading their site...

Reply to this topic