Remember those faster-than-light neutrinos?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Authentic Drama Queen

SI NON CONFECTVS NON REFICIAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,126 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:31 PM

In case you don't remember or need a refresher: http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/...era.html?ref=hp

According to sources familiar with the experiment, the 60 nanoseconds discrepancy appears to come from a bad connection between a fiber optic cable that connects to the GPS receiver used to correct the timing of the neutrinos' flight and an electronic card in a computer. After tightening the connection and then measuring the time it takes data to travel the length of the fiber, researchers found that the data arrive 60 nanoseconds earlier than assumed. Since this time is subtracted from the overall time of flight, it appears to explain the early arrival of the neutrinos. New data, however, will be needed to confirm this hypothesis.

http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/...ter.html?ref=hp
Posted Image
"...you flawless perfect control freak." --Heywood
"Biggest Bitch South Of The (Canadian) Border." --Guest
"Shows how inconsiderate YOU are, Queen of Darkness." --SWSNBN

#2 *Guest~

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:43 PM

Wasn't there another experiment that confirmed the FTL nutrinos? Was their connection faulty too?

#3 *Guest~

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE (Guest @ Feb 22 2012, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wasn't there another experiment that confirmed the FTL nutrinos? Was their connection faulty too?

Possibly. It was done at the same place.

#4 *Guest~

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE (Guest @ Feb 22 2012, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Guest @ Feb 22 2012, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Possibly. It was done at the same place.

That's not what I heard. Well now i'll just have to research it myself.

#5 *Guest~

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:28 PM

Well according to the Wiki entry you're right Op. There were requests made but no one has tried it yet. And now they probably won't.

But it strikes me that quantum entanglement, which has been proven, is proof of FTL interaction. I say that because correlation of quantum states has been shown possible even at great distances. It seems highly unlikely that the interaction is through standard EM waves. Therefore there must be another mechanism that underlies the EM world.

#6 Arch~Angel

Revelator

• Members
  • 38,812 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:52 PM

Does this mean I should unpack?
Dark as Light;

#7 Trevor.

That Bastard Trevor

• Members
  • 25,854 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:53 AM

Some call it the aether.

We COULD have measured its speed many times over, but 'we' don't believe it exists - so what is space-time?

lol

Reply to this topic