Autism as a death sentence

46 replies to this topic

#16 *Guest~

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:46 AM

This is stupid. The heart condition is the death sentence, not the autism. But then I'm personally opposed to organ transplantation. Nobody owes anybody a new heart or kidney or anything else.

#17 *Guest~

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:53 AM

Google his name and you'll find out that he is 23 years old, carries a stuffed animal everywhere he goes, plays video games all day and is totally dependent on his mommy. Why is this even an issue?

:fp:

#18 sarafina

.>><((((º> .·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:58 AM

View PostGenghis Flan, on 16 August 2012 - 09:14 PM, said:

Since Corby has no other medical conditions and the substances he is on consist of 19 medicines prescribed to keep him alive, why he is being declined is not clear, other than for his autism.

19 meds????? WTF??

And he has "no other medical conditions"?
Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank...... give a man a bank and he can rob the world.

#19 DoBee DoBee Do

All the world is a stage and we are being watched.

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:45 AM

View Post¿Suspicious Baggage?, on 16 August 2012 - 09:36 PM, said:

you realize medical professionals are prohibited from discussing a patient's medical situation because of HIPAA. even among people with need to know, the amount of info you are allowed to disclose is bare minimum (say for billing).

that said, do you know in fact this guy has asperger's? is he in fact capable of helping assure he has a positive outcome? are there other health conditions that would make him an inappropriate candidate, and the autism is being used as a strong arm tactic?

Maybe you ought to consider shutting your mouth on this subject, simply because many of us on this forum have autistic children and relatives and unless you've raised a loved one with autism yourself you have no idea what the parents of autistic kids go through due to ignorant adults. I'm not trying to be rude to you, but you've picked the wrong topic to troll someone you don't like with. You should realize we parents will fight you or anyone else to the death if need be to protect our children and to stop getting people to think of them by their disability instead of who the are as a person.

Flan, thank you for posting this. I am an active participant in the group Autism Speaks. I'll make sure they're aware of this and try to organize a protest outside of the hospital if I can. I will not allow this intelligent worthy individual to die simply because he might require a little extra help to get over the hump in certain aspects of his life.
"Sometimes internal forces can make us feel like it's coming from the external." - Guest: Monday, March 26, 2012 @ 12:09 PM

#20 sarafina

• Members
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:43 AM

Doo Bee.... Is that typical to be on that many meds? I know some are probably for his heart condition and some for autism.....but 19?? I can't wrap my mind around that.
Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank...... give a man a bank and he can rob the world.

#21 DoBee DoBee Do

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:49 AM

My son is on one medication for his condition and has begun reducing the dose. He's talked to his doctor about it and the doctor is willing to work with him on his decision.

Those other drugs are most likely for the heart condition. Oh and I did read an article where the Mother was interviewed and was told specifically by a Doctor Brozena that since his condition (autism) is considered a mental health issue, he is being denied. Think about that people when every day in the news they're calling something else a mental issue.
"Sometimes internal forces can make us feel like it's coming from the external." - Guest: Monday, March 26, 2012 @ 12:09 PM

#22 sarafina

• Members
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:55 AM

It IS disturbing how they are labeling anyone who is different as mentally ill. They start with a case like mass murderers who nobody will argue about (at least not publically) and then they expand the definition like a virus or cancer.

#23 vikingwoman

Mead and Cherry Juice

• Members
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:13 AM

View PostDoBee DoBee Do, on 17 August 2012 - 09:45 AM, said:

View Post¿Suspicious Baggage?, on 16 August 2012 - 09:36 PM, said:

you realize medical professionals are prohibited from discussing a patient's medical situation because of HIPAA. even among people with need to know, the amount of info you are allowed to disclose is bare minimum (say for billing).

that said, do you know in fact this guy has asperger's? is he in fact capable of helping assure he has a positive outcome? are there other health conditions that would make him an inappropriate candidate, and the autism is being used as a strong arm tactic?

Maybe you ought to consider shutting your mouth on this subject, simply because many of us on this forum have autistic children and relatives and unless you've raised a loved one with autism yourself you have no idea what the parents of autistic kids go through due to ignorant adults. I'm not trying to be rude to you, but you've picked the wrong topic to troll someone you don't like with. You should realize we parents will fight you or anyone else to the death if need be to protect our children and to stop getting people to think of them by their disability instead of who the are as a person.

Flan, thank you for posting this. I am an active participant in the group Autism Speaks. I'll make sure they're aware of this and try to organize a protest outside of the hospital if I can. I will not allow this intelligent worthy individual to die simply because he might require a little extra help to get over the hump in certain aspects of his life.

Word.

first, thank you Flan for posting this.

Parents of ASD kids fight like hell to get these kids the support they need. My son is only on 1 prescription drug. He does, however, take amino acids, digestive enzymes, pro-biotics and multi-vitamin because it helps his chemistry and it helps him function better.

He does a weekly occupational/physical therapy because there is a connection between brain nerves re-weaving and physical therapy.

Autism is not a mental health issue - it is neurological, chemical and immuno related ( I bet) and certainly nutritional deficient. My functional medical doctor actually diagnosed my son as having a malnutrition/malabsorption issue - and NOT ASD.

I hope this family goes to court or even leaves the country to get their son the medical attention he needs.

BTW - there are many "normal - neuro typical people" who, because they don't behave in their quirky ways - are lacking in social skills, coping mechanisms and healthy relationship building. Some of these "normal" people are psychos at work, stalk relationships, steal, murder, rape or become meth addicts. Since they know how to disguise themselves as 'normal' they don't have a label of dysfunction. But let me tell you, after seeing on different websites the vicious anonymous comments on various web topics (outside of pwr by the way), I am willing to bet that 80% of the world's population has some characteristic that would be considered anti-social...possibly psychotic.

Kids like my son are taught techniques (like clutching a teddybear for this kid) that are coping mechanisms. My son experiences sight, sound, tactile and other stimuli as if the volume dial is turned up all the way to 10. He is taught coping mechanisms to deal with this sensory overload so he can function as best he can in our daily world. It is NOT a mental health issue. He is probably more well adjusted than most "normal people".

There are criminals who commit heinous crimes, yet are not diagnosed with ASD and are not considered mentally ill - officially. Yet an Autistic person is labeled for this simply because the scientific community can't figure out a) what the real cause of it is or b) they know the cause of it and realize they are liable to millions of lawsuits in malpractice because the medical or Military Industrial Complex industry caused it or c) Its Really A LIABILITY aka Medical Malpractice issue. or D) all of the above.

I hope this article causes enough of an uproar to get this kid on the list.

#24 Cassandra

For I tell you truly

• Members
  • 35,179 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:36 AM

since his condition (autism) is considered a mental health issue, he is being denied

no transplants for me then. :damn:

Funny I can donate (a kidney) though, eh?
It is the desire for God which will bring you closer to God. If you take one step, He will take one hundred steps to receive you.

~Sant Kirpal Singh

#25 *Guest~

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

...the University of Pennsylvania's hospital has previously performed at least one organ transplant on a person with autism.

....according to the Philadelphia Inquirer, Corby received a letter from the hospital, stating that Paul was being denied "given his psychiatric issues, autism, the complexity of the process, multiple procedures and the unknown and unpredictable effect of steroids on behavior."

There have been incidents that would concern doctors including the fact that Paul has shouted loudly enough in the house that the police have been called at least three times to the house, and at least one of his other medications is for an unspecified mood disorder.

Read more at http://www.medicalda...vgP3gU8VH1LK.99

Yeah, go picket the hospital, FFS.

:fp:

#26 *¿Suspicious Baggage?~

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:25 PM

well there you go, overreacting peeps. it isn't about autism.

#27 DoBee DoBee Do

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:27 PM

Most likely anxiety. You want to sit on your ass while they come for the other guy, that's fine, because one day it will be your turn. And when it is, this moment of your post will come back to you with such stellar clarity and it's coming sooner than you think.

#28 *Guest~

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:29 PM

The OP is written to persuade the reader to reach a certain conclusion. Never mind that pertinent facts were omitted and even falsified. Typical of the poster's usual offerings, though.

#29 *¿Suspicious Baggage?~

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

View PostDoBee DoBee Do, on 17 August 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

Most likely anxiety. You want to sit on your ass while they come for the other guy, that's fine, because one day it will be your turn. And when it is, this moment of your post will come back to you with such stellar clarity and it's coming sooner than you think.

good grief, this isn't about Nazi eugenics. nobody is coming to get anyone. this guy just isn't the best recipient.

and hell, i've probably got a bit of that ASD, myself. i only found out years later that the reason my parents put me through that hell of little league football and baseball was because some teacher seemed to think i needed more socialization or something. if they had really wanted me socialized more, they wouldn't have shipped off most of my friends to RLC.

#30 DoBee DoBee Do

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:53 PM

It absolutely is about Nazi like eugenics. It's coming whether anyone wants to believe it or not. This world is crashing quickly. They're collecting DNA. Healthcare laws and healthcare ideas have already broached the subject of withholding medical care. You may not believe it may not want to believe it, but when you start to see it with your own eyes, you'll think back to this discussion. I guarantee it.

Reply to this topic